As of today, it has been two years since I discovered I was Autistic. It’s been quite the journey since April 19th, 2015. I have learned so much about myself in the past two years.
What I have learned:
• I am not broken
• I sometimes go non-verbal (and that is okay)
• Stimming is a natural part of being Autistic
• To stim when I need to – to help regulate sensory input or for fun
• To take time when needed for self care – such as naps, or playing a video game
• To advocate for or about my needs to others
• To better explain why I do the things I do or have done in the past
• That many things I thought were weird things only I did, many other Autistics also do
• That I’m not alone in the world – there is an online community full of other Autistics
• That many of my really close friends are also Autistic
• To accept myself as-is and be myself. No matter what!
I love who I am and who I have become in the past two years. I finally understand myself. I no longer feel lost in the world, which is a really great feeling. It’s been amazing to finally learn the words that I need to explain my experiences to others. I hope I can help those who read my blog understand themselves better too!